I am utterly amazed at the continual consternation and confusion concerning the question of Same Sex Marriage (SSM). Rationally it is clear and simple.
- In order to prohibit SSM there needs to be some reason
- The reasons must be either social (allowing SSM damages society as a whole or individuals in some manner) or religious
- If the reasons are religious any laws based on them are unconstitutional
- Therefore in order to prohibit SSM there must be societal issues
After years and years of these discussion I have heard only 2 societal reasons
- Marriage is for procreation and SSM does not pair humans who can procreate
- SSM makes some people very upset because they are disturbed by it
#1 is clearly not a valid reason since we allow infertile people to marry and #2 is simply no reason at all
Thus clearly and simply Same Sex Marriage cannot be prohibited in an rational manner and must be allowed.